Specific Competencies and Skills Tested in this Assessment:
- Demonstrate safe material handling practices
- Display comprehension of workplace/job-site safety procedures (OSHA)
- Exhibit knowledge of SDS and personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Display understanding of hand tool safety issues
- Display understanding of power tool safety issues
Tools and Accessories
- Use and maintain hand tools
- Use and maintain power tools
- Use and maintain measuring, layout, and marking tools
Blueprint Reading and Estimation Skills
- Demonstrate awareness of general building codes
- Display comprehension of dimensions and scales
- Read and understand various views and elevations
- Display understanding of symbols, lines, and details
- Extrapolate information from a set of plans
- Estimate materials quantities
- Demonstrate awareness of green building practices
Foundations, Forms, and Concrete
- Lay out foundation
- Construct and align footing and foundation forms
- Install, brace, align, and remove formwork
- Understand concrete characteristics
- Demonstrate understanding of floor systems
- Demonstrate understanding of wall systems
- Demonstrate understanding of roof systems
- Calculate, lay out, and install stairs
- Identify and install cornice and trim
- Calculate and install roofing
- Identify, prepare, and install windows and doors
- Calculate, lay out, and install siding
- Install insulation
- Install and finish interior walls and ceilings
- Install interior doors
- Install standing and running trim
- Install cabinets and associated hardware
Carpentry Related Mathematics
- Perform basic mathematical operations: whole numbers, fractions, and decimals
- Perform linear, square, and cubic computations
- Perform algebraic and geometric functions
Administration Time: 3 hours
Number of Questions: 170
Tools and Accessories: 9%
Blueprint Reading and Estimation Skills: 18%
Foundations, Forms, and Concrete: 7%
Rough Framing: 16%
Exterior Finish: 13%
Interior Finish: 13%
Carpentry Related Mathematics: 9%
Trimmer studs strengthen the sides of an opening and bear the direct weight of the
Hinges and a track are used in what type of door system?
Which saw is used to cut an inside corner using base molding?
- compass saw
- coping saw
- hack saw
- zip saw
If pine boards are sold for $800.00 per 1,000 board feet, what is the cost to purchase 550
Three types of valley shingle installation are
- open, woven, and closed-cut
- Dutch cut, French cut, and English cut
- half-lap, side-lap, and top-lap
- cal-fil, wainscoat, and overlap
With vinyl siding, which of the following is normally installed last?
- corner pieces
- siding panels
- starter strip
Use ______ nails when installing exterior trim to prevent corrosion.
- resin-coated box
Riser dimension plus tread dimension should fall between
- 16 to 17 inches
- 17 to 18 inches
- 18 to 19 inches
- 16 to 19 inches
The top and bottom metal framing members are referred to as
The chemical reaction that occurs between water and cement is called
Administration Time: 2 hours and 45 minutes
Number of Jobs: 7
9% Tool and Material Identification Participant will accurately identify a variety of tools and materials, including saws, bits, saw blades, wrenches, nails, fasteners, lumber, finishing, layout, and marking tools.
13% Square Layout
Participant will use the appropriate equipment and techniques to lay out and chalk a square.
12% Establish a Starting Course for Vinyl Siding Using a Builder’s Level Participant will properly set up and use a builder’s level to establish a level chalk line for the starting course of vinyl siding on a wall.
17% Blueprint Reading and Exterior Sole Plate Layout
Participant will lay out a sole plate according to instructions and include all necessary markings.
19% Rafter Layout
Participant will lay out one common rafter using provided plans and materials showing all necessary corrections and adjustments.
11% Stairway Stringer
Participant will layout a 3-tread stringer according to instructions and record correct number of risers, treads, and measurements.
19% Interior Frame
Participant will install an interior frame in a given opening using appropriate procedures, tools, and equipment.
Maximum Time: 20 minutes
Participant Activity: The test participant will chalk out a 12-foot by 12-foot square using blue chalk and placing blocks at the corners, as shown in the drawing provided.