What are Prior Learning Assessments?
Prior Learning Assessments (PLA) are a testing option that allows an individual to transfer experience and gained skills into college accreditation, saving time and money. PLAs are a great way to get ahead, catch up, or branch out from your current schooling and receive college credit for your prior knowledge or experience.
How Do PLAs work?
There are only a few steps to take to ensure that you receive credit for taking your PLA.
- Consult with your academic advisor and/or registrar to ensure your institution will grant the credit.
- Take a PLA at an NBS approved testing site or online using a virtual proctoring service (webcam required)
- Score at least a 70% on the NBS assessment to receive our College Credit Recommendation Report
- View our recommended process for reviewing assessments
- PLA Assessment List
- Find an Assessment Center
- Click to print a College Credit Recommendation Flyer
How can a PLA be worth College Credit?
Nocti Business Solutions has collaborated with the National College Credit Recommendation Service (NCCRS) to evaluate several of our assessments. Working with industry experts and professors, we have converted multiple tests to PLAs, elevating their content to be college credit worthy.
What Courses and Colleges are eligible for a Prior Learning Assessment?
NBS assessments cover classes ranging from 1 to 6 credit hours. See the full list of courses approved for a PLA here: PLA List
Currently, there are over 1,500 colleges that recognize NCCRS and will potentially grant college credit for meeting the benchmark for a specific test. See the full list here: NCCRS College List.
Please Note: If your school is not currently participating in this program, speak to your advisor about the possibility of receiving credit for taking a PLA.
What does a Prior Learning Assessment Cost?
The cost to take a Prior Learning Assessment for each class is $150.00. An official transcript can be provided for an additional fee.
If you have questions or would like to receive more information on taking a Prior Learning Assessment, please contact us today! Let us help you earn the credit you deserve!